A Candidate shall be regarded as a local candidate in relation to a local area
- if he/she has studied in an Educational Institution or Educational Institutions in such local area for a period of not less than four consecutive academic years ending with the academic year in which he/she appeared or first appeared in the relevant qualifying examination as the case may be
- Where, during the whole or any part of the four consecutive academic years in which he/she appeared, or first appeared in the relevant qualifying examination, he/ she has not studied in any educational institutions, if he/she resided in that local area for a period of not less than four years immediately preceding the date of commencement of the relevant qualifying examination in which he/she appeared, or first appeared, as the case may be.
The local area in respect of Andhra University (A.U. area) includes the Nagarjuna University area. In respect of Sri Venkateswara University (S.V.U. area), it includes the Sri Krishnadevaraya University area. In respect of Osmania University (O.U. area), it includes the Kakatiya University area.
85% of seats are reserved for local candidates and the remaining 15% for open merit candidates where local or non-local or reserved or general category students can compete for those seats.
Andhra University area: Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Krishna, West Godavari, East Godavari, Prakasam, Vishakhapatnam, Guntur regions
SV University area: Nellore, Chittoor, Kurnool, Anantapur, and YSR district regions
Osmania University area: Khammam, Karimnagar, Nalgonda, Adilabad, Mahabubnagar, Nizamabad, Warangal, Hyderabad, Ranga Reddy, Medak district regions